Damdami Taksal chief writes to Prez seeking release of 20 Sikh convicts
New Delhi: September 14, 2018: Damdami Taksal chief Harnam Singh Khalsa has appealed to the President to revoke the life sentence which was awarded to 20 Sikh prisoners, on the eve of 550th Gurpurb of Guru Nanak Dev. In a request application submitted to President Ram Nath Kovind, the Taksal chief has stated that Sikhs have always been well-wishers of India and have always offered their services to humanity. He mentioned that the Sikh inmates were booked in different cases are currently lodged in several jails.
He further stated that most convicts had a good conduct and 12 of them had already served 20 years of their life sentence. Khalsa further asserted that one of the jail inmates --- Paramjit Singh --- was not even granted parole to meet his ageing mother who is on the death bed. “It is her last wish to see Paramjit before her”. In the application, the Taksal chief cited Article 72 of the constitution which mentions “Power of President to grant pardons, etc., and to suspend, remit or commute sentences in certain cases”.
Khalsa has requested the President to consider their concern and remit the prisoners under Article 72 of the constitution.
A copy of the application is in possession of Babushahi and is displayed below:
Sh. Ram Nath Kovind,
The President of India,
Subject: Application for seeking remit the sentence of Twenty (20) life convicts Sikh Prisoners under Article 72 of Constitution of India on the eve of 550th Parkash Gurpurab of Guru Nanak Sahib ji.
- That we the undersigned are well wishers of India and always stood in the service of humanity as preached by Our Gurus under the sacred blessings of Nanak Naam Chardi Kala Tere Bhanay Sarbat Da bhala.
- That 550th Parkash Gurpurab of Guru Nanak Sahib ji is celebrating in the whole world especially in India and not only by the Sikhs but also by the every Human who loves Humanity because the teachings of Guru Nanak Sahib are equal to every human for the welfare of all Humanity.
- That the Twenty (20) life convicts Sikh Prisoners have been convicted to life imprisonment in different cases and lodged in different jails. (Detailed List is attached herewith)
- That all these Twenty (20) life convicts Sikh Prisoners have good conduct in jails and 12 prisoners are completed more than 20 years’ incarceration.
- That a prisoner namely Paramjit Singh at serial No. 9 in the list attached did not granted parole to meet him with old age mother on death bed as her last wish to see her son.
- That the Article 72 of The constitution of India says,
72. Power of President to grant pardons, etc., and to suspend, remit or commute sentences in certain cases. - (1) The President shall have the power to grant pardons, reprieves, respites or remissions of punishment or to suspend, remit or commute the sentence of any person convicted of any offence.
- That all these Twenty (20) life convicts Sikh Prisoners undertake to abide by all the terms and conditions as per lay down by law.
So, it is therefore prayed that the sentence of all these Twenty (20) life convicts Sikh Prisoners may please be remitted under Article 72 of The Constitution of India on the eve of 550th Parkash Gurpurab of Guru Nanak Sahib ji, in the interest of justice.
Submitted by:Guru Panth Da daas
( Sant Giani Harnam Singh Khalsa)
Chief of Damdami Taksal , President of Sant Samaj