Former DGP Mohammad Mustafa Claims Malerkotla Blast Was a Targeted Attack on Him and His Family
Babushahi Network Bureau
Chandigarh, May 19, 2026: Former Director General of Police (DGP) Punjab, Mohammad Mustafa, has alleged that the explosion that took place near his residence “Malerkotla House” on the evening of May 15 was not an accident but a deliberate and targeted attack on him and his family.
In a strongly worded statement posted on social media, Mustafa said the high-intensity blast occurred on the link road leading to his residence and involved a crude explosive mixture, possibly containing potassium chlorate, sulphur and aluminium powder.
According to Mustafa, the force of the explosion was so powerful that it crushed the limbs of a buffalo and hurled the animal nearly eight feet into the air.
He alleged that the local police attempted to portray the incident as a mere accident, describing the response as “grossly unprofessional and dangerous.”
Mustafa said he had already informed central agencies and senior Punjab Police officials in writing, along with supporting documents, well before the incident.
Referring to a recent threat email that allegedly targeted him, several schools, former DGP Sumedh Singh Saini and Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann, Mustafa said the development reflects what he termed a “collapsing law and order ecosystem” in Punjab.
The former DGP directly accused a former Congress MLA and two local residents of Malerkotla of being responsible for the blast.
“The MLA, a convict and dubious political party hopper, and two locals from Malerkotla city are responsible for this blast. I am getting an FIR registered against them. Necessary proof is reserved for investigating agencies,” Mustafa stated.